Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back In The Saddle

On July 22 we headed over to Nantucket for our annual family vacation whihc we just returned from on 8/3. Anyone who vacations on Nantucket knows how complicated it can be to get even just a car over to the island on the ferry, let alone a truck and a boat. You need to reserve the space by the end of January to ensure dates and times anywhere close to what you want our need to match with your house rental. This year I made the reservation and ended up canceling the part for the boat to go over with me. It was the first time in nearly a decade I would be on the isalnd without my boat in tow. I spent a lot of time relaxing on the beaches with the kids. We picked blueberries and had a great time.

My buddy Gordon showed up last Thursday with his 20-foot Jones Brothers in tow. We missed the early morning bonito tide on Friday and spent the afternoon catching big blues off the airport. On Saturday morning we got out early and found ourselves on the bonito bar by 0630. There were bonito running the edges but the fishing was not red-hot by any stretch. The fish we were able to hook were kind of sluggish and the hits were soft and subtle.

It felt great to be on the water again. The back felt really good and there was no pain to speak of. If anyone out there reading this wants to invite me out for a day of fishing, just say the word. I'm ready!

No comments: