Friday, April 4, 2008

A-Carping We Will Go...


I drove by the carp flats this morning and they are looking pretty good. The water level is up and should rise some more with today's heavy rains and the snowmelt up North. It would be nice to have the water temperature come up as it is just too cold right now for any carp to be moving onto the flats. A few nice warm sunny days would really help things, but the weather prognosis is for below-average temps again for most of next week. I figure bby the third or last week of April we should have plenty of carp action. I am really looking forward to it this year and will spend more time on the carp flats and less time driving between here and the Cape to save gas money. I think I'd rather stay local and catch carp rather than spend all that coin on gas just to catch 16-inch stripers.


I did get to the Cape yesterday and uncovered the boat and dragged it back up here. It's sitting in the shed at Marabello's right now just waiting for me to get over there to work on it. It was nice be on the Cape on a sunny spring day like yesterday. I stopped by Scorton Creek and saw a nice trout hanging at the head of the pool upstream of the culvert at Jones Lane. I made one cast at it and it spooked in the shadows of the cut bank, never to be seen again.

3 comments:

BuckWheats said...

What loosens the jaw of the Mighty Carp?? Are you saying there are Slamdance Carp charters available? Are they running, spawning, doing whatever a carp does (not sure I want to know)...will there be a catered lunch with each charter...linen napkins, tablecloth with each setting, rates? Equipment provided? I'm so confused...

Anonymous said...

Gordon: For you the price is doubled. You will, however, get a shore lunch as long as you catch a carp for us to eat. I'll bring a lighter and some newspapers to use to cook your beastly catch.

FlatLander said...

Just to prove that expensive educations are not completely pissed away at The Hoot Owl, I am commenting.

Those pictures are old.